Business Immigration Services Birmingham, West Midlands

Rep of Overseas Business


Rep of Overseas Business

You can apply as a representative of an overseas business if you're either:

  • the sole representative of an overseas business planning to set up either a UK branch or wholly owned subsidiary
  • can employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK

You must also meet the other eligibility requirements.

Sole representatives

When applying as a sole representative of an overseas business you'll need to provide:

  • A full description of the business's activities, including details of assets and accounts
  • A letter confirming the overseas business will set up a wholly owned subsidiary or register a branch in the UK in the same business activity as it runs overseas
  • Your job description, employment contract and salary details
  • A letter confirming you're familiar with the business and have the power to take operational decisions

You should also provide evidence that you:

  • Are directly employed by the business and are not acting as a sales agent (for example, hired by a business to sell or distribute their products within the UK, but working for yourself and providing your services for a fee)
  • Were recruited to the business outside of the UK
  • Hold a senior position in the business, with the authority to make decisions on its behalf and set up and run a registered branch or wholly owned subsidiary
  • Will be working full time for the business or subsidiary for the duration of your stay and will not carry out any other work
  • Do not own or control a majority of the overseas business

Newspaper, news agency or broadcast employees

As an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation you must also provide:

  • a full description of the parent company's activities, including details of assets and accounts
  • confirmation that you will be representing them in the UK in a long term, full-time role

How do I apply?

If you apply from outside the UK, the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
If you apply from inside the UK
You will get a decision within 8 weeks.
UKVI will contact you if your application will take longer, for example:

  • If your supporting documents need to be verified
  • If you need to attend an interview
  • Because of your personal circumstances (for example, if you have a criminal conviction)

Once you've applied you can stay in the UK until you've been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expires.

How long can you stay

The visa lets you stay in the UK for an initial period of 3 years.
You may be able to extend your visa for another 2 years.
After you've been in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK.

Knowledge of English

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.
You can prove your knowledge of English by either:

  • Passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening
  • Having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, master's degree or PhD

Documents you need to provide

When you apply you'll need to provide:

  • A current passport or other valid travel identification
  • Evidence that you can support yourself and any dependants during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • Proof that you meet the English requirement

If you're applying from overseas, you'll also need to provide:

  • Details of where you'll be staying during your stay
  • Your tuberculosis test results if you're from a country where you have to take the test

Contact us today, risk free, to discuss how we can help

Unlike traditional law firms, we do not clock watch or charge per hour, per letter, per call or per correspondence.

Our fees are always fixed, transparent and designed to be affordable from the outset.

We are specialist Immigration Solicitors based in Birmingham who also offer consultations by appointment nationally.

At Kewalion & Co we endeavour to provide a five-star service by listening to our clients' needs, actually caring about their case and giving a high level personal service to each and every one.

We are a specialist immigration law practice, providing specialist advice on all aspects of Personal, Business, British Nationality and Human Rights immigration.

Our clients range from private individuals and sole traders, to multinational corporations.